Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What I Miss About London (Part I - Food)

When I first moved to London just after Christmas 2003 I was desperately homesick. I had no idea that my heart and thoughts would ache for home when I’d been so determined to leave it behind at the first chance available. So I sat down at my old laptop in my flat in Nottingham and wrote a list of things that I missed about Australia…..

That was almost five years ago and a lot has happened in that time. I am now ‘home’ in Australia but my heart and thoughts constantly ache for my old life in England/London! Sometimes you just can’t win.

It’s also quite fitting that today, the 27th of November is exactly three years to the day that I flew out of London heading for Australia via the USA.

Here is the first part of my ‘What I Miss About London’ list

GBK. Home of the delightfully yummy gourmet burger. Chicken Satay was my favourite but a seedy Sunday often called for a plain old Hamburger with Cheese.

Hummingbird Bakery in Notting Hill. This is where I tasted my first ever red velvet cupcake. Bliss.

Krispy Kreme donuts. I love these little gems. I could eat them in my sleep. They bring me sheer happiness like no other dessert I’ve tasted in my life time. I know they are American but when I taught near Victoria Tube Station I would wonder to the stand there after a hard day teaching the children of Pimlico.

King Solomon’s Kebab House. My friends lived around the corner from this establishment in Shepherds Bush. So many late night ventures ended with a stop here for a kebab.

Edgeware Road and all it’s Middle Easter restaurants/bars.

Sainsbury’s Market at Victoria. Many a happy afternoon was spent wondering the aisles of this branch with the two Best Dressed Ladies in Pimlico.

Quavers. The best chicken flavoured crisp ever. A ten pack packet literally only lasts one hour.

Curries. There is a curry house on every high street, sometimes more than one! I don’t know if it’s a combination of the cold weather and constant threat of rain but nothing compares to the comfort of eating a curry in London.

No comments: