Thursday, September 17, 2009

Caramela's Caramel Slice

Today is my mother's birthday.
She is a bit of a caramel queen.
Two of her many signature dishes are
creme caramel and
caramel slice.
I did not bake the caramel slice featured above and below this text.It is mum's recipe and there is no way I'd attempt it myself. It just wouldn't taste right made my anyone other than mum.
It's an easy recipe but I don't want to make my mum's signature dish.
I don't want to mess with my favourite slice of all time. As a child my heart would leap with joy upon seeing Mum pull this slice from the fridge.
She can't remember where she got the recipe from, most likely the back of a packet.
Or perhaps it was on a tin of condensed milk.
Base:
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 ozs of melted butter
Mix together and press into a greased flat tin approx 9 by 6 inches. Bake in a moderate over for 15 minutes.
Topping:
1 tin condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 oz butter
Mix together in a saucepan on low heat until blended.
Remove cooked biscuit from oven and put topping on (while both still hot) and put back into the over for a further 15 minutes.
Once completely cooled ice thinly with either melted chocolate or your favourite chocolate icing.



5 comments:

Smitten Sugar said...

oh my I love caramel...this looks amazing!

Muneeba said...

I'm a caramel lover too ... it's just one of my favorite flavors ever, so these bars would fit just right into my recipe repertoire! (and make fitting into my jeans even more difficult, but I'll deal with that when I get there!)

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Oh I love these slices. Now you're making me very hungry.

Cakelaw said...

Yum - this looks delicious!

Two fit and fun gals said...

yummy i'm loving all your food pics :)