Sunday, June 14, 2009

What goes around comes around


Yes I should be studying and not cruising tastespotting for new recipes to try out during my 'study breaks'.

As I sat at my laptop to commence my 'studies' yesterday morning, tastespotting offered a glimpse of Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Bars which came from Carrie's Kitchen Creations who recommended that the recipe from Smitten Kitchen be used to make the bars.

Smitten Kitchen was one of the first cooking blogs I stumbled across in late 2007. For some reason it escaped me for 2008 which may have had more to do with my two job changes, starting my post-grad degree, house-hunting and having to push my baking to the backburner as opposed to me not liking the blog. Everything happens for a reason and I now have not only rediscovered Smitten Kitchen but also Carrie's Kitchen Creations. Something tells me my four week semester break is going to be filled with baking rather than wedding planning.

Luckily yesterday I was in need of a good recipe for a sweet treat to nibble on as my lovely cousin was having us over for drinks. As my phobia of visiting friends without food in hand increasingly worsens I had the perfect opportunity on my hands to make these beauties:



I used Smitten Kitchen's recipe but used Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup. I was so lazy/pressed for time that I didn't check to see if this is a true substitution. The end result has a wonderful flavour that works well with the peanut butter filling so I think I got it right. I also cooked the first stage without a candy thermometer and it all worked out well.



While my 'studies' have been somewhat lacking this weekend I am thrilled to have found two new food blogs to gleam ideas from and a decadent new sweets recipes that will be put on high rotation. Good times!

No comments: